Pardon my interruption from the every day usual posts from me. This post isn’t about the “must-have spring top” or what’s best on sale right now. I wanted to take today to actually write about how I’ve been feeling and how this past weekend was for me. Things are about to get real, y’all.
This past weekend, Ajeet and I did our usual thing…filmed a video, completed 5-6 shoots, came back home and edited away. Everything was ready for me to schedule a normal blog post on Monday but something inside of me couldn’t do it. Suddenly, the work I was doing felt so mundane, the entire process really. I started to feel bored and uninspired and that made me wonder well, if I feel that way then how do my readers feel? I looked at my Instagram feed and all I saw was polished, fashion photos…over and over and over again. Yes, I’m a fashion blogger but I do incorporate a few beauty posts, travel and overall lifestyle content. However, I don’t do it enough. Part of me is afraid on how everyone would react if I change things up on my feed– you know, if I start posting more casual, filler photos about my every day life instead of constant polished, perfect, edited photos. Ajeet and I had a meeting on Sunday because he felt the same way, honestly. We both knew it was time for a change because if WE felt uninspired and bored, then the content I produce for you guys definitely won’t inspire you anymore. I needed to shake things up, and I hope you guys will be 100% on board with this decision.
I know a few bloggers that have been in this rut before where they feel like they’ve lost their drive and motivation, it happens to the best of us and I can imagine it happens to you in your everyday job. I started thinking about ways I could make things better and bring back that fire so I figured I’ll share those tips with y’all today. Trust me, I’ll be trying these myself because I NEED to make a change…or several changes. If that means be more raw and real, then I’ll do it. If that means posting casual, fun in-the-moment photos, then I’ll do it. If that means posting filler photos like of palm trees (hence the photo choice here), then I’ll do it. If that means posting more beauty skincare and haircare content, then I’ll do it. I JUST need to to get out of my comfort zone in order to add variety to my feed, feel inspired again and produce unique, helpful content for you guys.
Anyway, if you’re in the same boat as I am or ever have been, here’s a few tips that I think will help:
- Do something out of your comfort zone. For me, fashion and beauty comes easy. That’s why I mainly post about those two. However, I primarily do photos because videos scare the crap out of me. Taking acting classes was one way that I was trying to help be more comfortable on camera because I really do want to start doing more YouTube videos– I’m talking twice a week. I’ve actually learning Final Cut Pro behind the scenes a little so I’m in the works, I just need to jump in and start posting more now. Another way I need to step outside my comfort zone is to actually SHARE more on IG stories. I think I only share the fun stuff and when I get home, I don’t really chat enough so I’m going to start picking that up! It’s going to be slightly tough since I am an introvert and I do try and keep as much as my life private but, eh…worth a try!
- Talk to someone. For me, I spent a few hours Sunday night brainstorming with my husband and really just talking about what’s bothering me, what I’m doing wrong, and how I can improve. I also set a meeting with my manager and met with her yesterday to go over changes we can make. Both of those meetings really helped change my mindset from being uninspired to super excited to make some adjustments.
- And yes, I hired a manager in January btw!! She is AMAZE and it’s so nice to have a clear, unbiased perspective from someone that actually cares to see you grow.
- Eliminate the busyness around you and make time for yourself. Sounds easier said than done, right? We all live busy lives. There’s always a to-do list and there’s always something we need to take care of, now. That’s how it feels for me at least. Lately, I feel like my to-do list is growing and I haven’t had enough time to really sit down and let my creative juices flow and that’s KEY. Without that blank space in your life, it can be really hard to envision those creative ideas and allow them to flourish. It’s just been go go go for me so it’s time to take a step back, look over my accomplishments over the last few years and let my mind run wild with ideas.
- Do something that you love– that doesn’t involve getting paid. Do something for you that makes you happy and frees your mind whether that’s listening to music or stepping out and going for a run. Ajeet and I have been really bad at going to the gym lately because our schedule since moving to LA has been insane. He works full-time and then when he gets back from work, we’re working on the blog. Weekends are 100% blog work and I know you have to put in the work to see results, but if you’re feeling uninspired and bored, you HAVE to take time to show love to your mind and body first. That being said, we’re no longer going to let work get in the way of our physical health.
- Be your best self. That’s all we can really do, right? It’s so easy to look at someone else’s feed and play the comparison game but it’s the worst thing you can possibly to do yourself. It’s seriously self-destructing and it has to stop! Additionally, don’t ever look back at work that you did and regret it. It’s in the past, you can’t change it. That’s something I struggle with a lot and it can really bring you down. If you’re content with your previous work/actions and accepted that there’s nothing you can do to change it, you’re able to focus on the present and be your best self now. Letting go is the most powerful thing you can do.
Thanks for reading this, you guys. I posted about feeling uninspired on my IG stories yesterday and so many of you gave me the most incredible feedback and provided me content that you guys wanted me to create. I can’t thank you enough for being supportive– even at my low points. Love you tons, chat soon.