If we’re being honest… it’s been an embarrassing amount of time since I’ve last cleaned my makeup brushes. As I was doing my makeup the other day, I realized these brushes needed a deep cleaning ASAP and I figured why not wash them with you guys?! As mentioned in the video, I highly recommend washing your brushes once a week (depending on how often you apply makeup) so you don’t clog any pores and increase your chances of breakouts!
I know there are tons of ways to wash your makeup brushes because I for one have tried several different options as well. I found the most effective way (both in terms of cleanliness and cost) is to simply use two ingredients: dish soap and extra virgin olive oil. I’ve tested out the more expensive cleansers you can buy from Sephora or any other beauty store and I personally found my DIY kitchen style way to work much better! Watch the quick video down below. 💙
Here are the steps broken down for you:
- mix 1 tsp of dish soap into a cap full of extra virgin olive oil in any container (it doesn’t have to be exact– you just want to have more dish soap than olive oil)
- swirl it around to really mix things up
- dampen your brushes with water
- apply the mixture to the tips of your brushes
- scrub the bristles of your brush on the back of your hand (you’ll see a lot of makeup product come off right away)
- run your brush under water and wash your hands
- make sure you hold your brushes downward so that the water doesn’t seep through and break the bind/bristles!!)
- continue to scrub the brush on your hand until you’ve noticed all the product disappeared!
- press downwards on the brush to squeeze out any excess water
- place your brushes down flat (don’t place them upright again so that the water does not seep down the brush)
Easy peasy you guys and it works like magic! I hope you checked out my YouTube channel for in-action details but for quick and easy steps, you an always refer to this post! 💗 Don’t forget to subscribe/comment/like and show some love!! Chat soon, cuties! <3